George E. Mathis founded G.E. Mathis Company in 1905. He emphasized quality, craftsmanship, and integrity from the start, and we have maintained these values for four generations. We are proud to have grown this one-man shop into a global company that provides high-quality custom fabrications for customers around the world.
George E. Mathis began his career as a carpenter and a tin-knocker, a position that involved working with sheet metal in the ventilation industry. In 1905, he decided to take the skills he had acquired in these jobs to found G.E. Mathis Company in his own basement.
The company focused heavily on HVAC fabrication and installation, quickly building a name for itself thanks to the high-quality craftsmanship of our products. During these first 50 years, G.E. Mathis Company played an integral role in the war effort and Chicago’s infrastructure development, eventually expanding to the Chicago South Side.
G.E. Mathis Company began to grow as William (Bill) J. Mathis joined the family business. W.J. Mathis eventually became the first person to use Chicago’s new subway system to travel under the Chicago River.
In the 1950s and 1960s, Lael W. Mathis became the third generation working at G.E. Mathis Company. At this time, construction began on the company’s current facilities, starting with the 40,000 square foot overhead crane building. As the company grew, our capabilities expanded. We began manufacturing and erecting microwave towers throughout North America, and we invested in large platform fabrication equipment to better serve our growing customer base.
The company continued diversifying in the 1970s, investing in additional platform shearing and forming equipment and fabricating large steel plate component parts. With an international customer base, G.E. Mathis Company began offering subcontracting fabrication services within the agricultural industry, focusing on grain and silage storage systems.
To accommodate the expanding business, the company continued to grow its Chicago facilities. These facilities included a newly constructed 85,000 square foot building, as well as an additional 36,000 square foot manufacturing space. In this decade, the company also invested in CNC technology for the first time.
In the 1980s, G.E. Mathis Company began working with a global chemical manufacturer, creating proprietary Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs). By this point, the company serviced fabricators, OEMs, and steel service centers. To accommodate the company’s continued diversification, 124,000 square feet of manufacturing space was added to the facilities. During this time, William J. Mathis, Craig L. Mathis, and Paul R. Mathis became the fourth generation to join the company.
Throughout the 1990s, G.E. Mathis Company continued developing its capabilities. In particular, the company invested in additional CNC laser cutting and forming equipment.
With the shift into the 2000s, the company began to expand into a contract manufacturing structure rather than solely a job shop. We continue to grow and diversify, connecting with customers around the world to provide high-quality fabrications at tight tolerances. The large laser cutting, welding, and forming systems at G.E. Mathis Company facilities make it possible to continually meet the needs of manufacturing partners across a range of industries.